The Dangers of Xylitol

hb-privateXylitol is a sugar substitute that is toxic to dogs. It’s being used more frequently in foods, gum, and even in non-food products like lotions that dogs might eat so the danger to our pets is growing.

Symptoms of Xylitol poisoning include vomiting, weakness, lack of coordination, lethargy, tremors, and more, according to vcahospitals.com.

If you believe that your dog may have consumed Xylitol, you should get immediate veterinary care, even if it means going to an emergency veterinary hospital. Xylitol ingestion can cause low blood sugar, seizures, liver failure, and death.

Preventivevet.com is a website with a page dedicated to tracking products containing Xylitol. While the list isn’t comprehensive, they are trying to make it as complete as possible. http://www.preventivevet.com/xylitol-products-toxic-for-dogs

Check out the site and see if you have any products containing Xylitol in your home. You can also contribute to the list if you find a product that contains Xylitol that is not listed.