If you need to work on getting your dog to come when called, here’s a fun game to try!
- Select an easy-to-eat, fairly dry, easy-to-toss, visible treat. The name of this exercise comes from the use of puffed cheese ball snacks (the kind humans eat!) as treats.
- Toss the treat a few feet out in front of your dog. Make sure he sees you throw it.
- When he goes to eat the treat, wait for him to finish.
- As he finishes the treat, call his name and, when he looks at you, throw the next cheeseball a short distance behind you. If your dog is small enough, throw it between your legs and have your dog run through them to get the treat. If not, throw it so he runs just past you.
- When your dog is anticipating each toss, add the “come” cue. As your dog is beginning to turn toward you, say “Come” in a happy, upbeat voice.
- Practice often!
The Cheeseball Recall is just one part of a good education in coming when called. Recalls are crucial to canine safety. If you need help training your dog, contact Courteous Canine for safe and effective recall training.